Cacti: Writing a Book Together
In the archives of cacti forums and discussion lists there is a great amount of information about culture and maintenance of cacti that you shared with each other. Everybody has an access to archives, but it's rather hard to find the necessary information. So, why don't we compose an internet-book on the basis of the records? It will be the book with the most interesting tips divided by content.
Why don't we write to forum, subscription, FAQ owners and ask them if we could use the information on cacti culture from their sites to compose the book?
In the future we can add more information from books and magazines (with author's permission). The book should be illustrated with pictures and photos. Naturally, it's going to be a hard work and a huge amount of content.
We open this project at Russian language. At this moment we collect 76 articles on different themes. The start page is here.
Dear friends, tell us your opinions and thoughts on this project on our "Cacti: Writing a Book Together". Thank you!
1. WHAT ARE THE CACTI?
* Cactus origins * Some historical facts on importing cacti to Europe * Famous cactologists and collectors * Blooming * Fruits * Seeds * Spines * Uses of cacti in their homeland * Cacti in medicine * Endangered cactus genera
2. CACTI IN HOME
* Some historical facts on collecting cacti * Cactus collections of botanical gardens and nurseries * Forming a cactus collection * My cactus collection (overview with photographs)
3. CULTIVATION AND CARE
** All cultivation related issues ** My experience ** Different approaches to the collection maintainance * Miniature compositions * Rock gardens * Greenhouses and cold frames...
4. SOWING AND PROPAGATION
** All sowing related issues * Propagators * My method of sowing - amateur experience *Pollination * Grafting * Vegetative propagation * Rooting
5. PESTS AND DISEASES
* Common pests and diseases, pest control. Used chemicals
6. THE LATIN AND BOTANICAL CLASSIFICATION
* Correct pronunciation * Glossary * Review of classifications
7. FORMS AND VARIETIES
* Succulents * Colored cultivars of cacti * Cristate and monstrose forms
* A 1001 of What? Why? How? * Did you know that? * Interesting facts about cacti * Photographing cacti
9. CLUBS AND SOCIETIES
* Addresses * Meetings and programs * Club presentations * Club newsletters (albums) * Cactus shows, organization protocols and exhibit design.
* Articles and presentation in media (ours and about us) * Prose * Poetry * Art